Saturday, May 29, 2010

All hearts break

I'm only gonna break your heart.

Yesterday I heard Taio Cruz's song "Break your heart" and it got me thinking about the nature of human hearts. Someone once said "Blessed are the hearts that can bend, for they shall never be broken" to which someone else replied "But if there is no breaking, then there can be no healing". As to which of these two statements may be true, I cannot say.

Now listen to me baby
Before I love and leave you
They call me heart breaker
I don't wanna decieve you.

However, it does offer some insight in the way people deal with relationships. Taio wants us to believe that there is no way to evade love, once you're on Cupid's radar, there's no running away from it. But the funny part is that we've always been taught that falling in love means happiness and joy. A wonderful feeling when two human beings connect on a level so much deeper than mere friendship. Moreover, if two people fall in love, what causes them to fall out of love - if that is ever possible?

If you fall for me
I'm not easy to please
I may tear you apart
Told you from the start.

Could it be that breaking hearts are a necessary evil, an inescapable side-effect of love, a sort of condition? Does falling in love inevitably lead to its downfall? If so, why do we persist on loving if all it does is just lead to more pain?

There's not point trying to hide it
No point trying to evade it
I know I got a problem
By doing this behaving.

Perhaps within love's devastation, there lies beauty. Maybe hearts break so that they can become stronger and more adapt to our sometimes hostile relationships with others. After all, the heart is a muscle and like any other it can be trained to become stronger. Instead of tackling it with cardio and benchpresses, we don't need physical pain to stimulate it, but rather emotional.

And I know karma's gonna get me back
 for being so cold
Like a big bad wolf I'm born to be bad
and bad to the bone
If you fall for me I'm only gonna tear you apart
Told ya from the start.

Yet how many times can a heart break before it shatters completely? How many times before it becomes unfixable and unable to open up to anyone else? Is there a specific or limited amount of love for everyone and when used up, that't is for them? Or is love eternal and endless like so many popsongs would like us to believe?

No comments: