Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Over there

I've thought about what to write for a while, seeing as how my previous post seemed a bit too hard to compete with, but I think I found something that I'm equally as passionate about.

In a few months, I'll have the opportunity to apply for studying a year abroad. A teacher of mine suggested going on Erasmus, saying it looks so good on a resume and it's also a great way to meet new people -he met his wife while away. Of course, his reasons aren't necessarily mine.

Should I get in, I want to go to Sheffield, UK to pave the way for my ever-encroaching future. I've always known I wanted to write in English, simply because I find it easier to express myself in that language than I do in Dutch. And since the job offers for me in English in this country are slim to non-existant. So, it seems only natural I'll have to find it over there.

When I visited London two years ago, I kind of had the idea in the back of my head to start spreading around resumes, in the hopes of landing me a job and 'forcing' me to move there. But then again, it seemed foolish to think I'd instantly get a job in an industry that's been flat on its ass since 2007 or even that they'd pick me above an English-speaking native. There's no harm in dreaming, right?

A while ago, I sent one of my essays to the New York Review, or was it some other magazine? Anyway, I sent it, hoping to get published. That fell through, but it didn't keep me from writing and it sure as hell won't stop me from trying to get in!

Ever since I was little, I knew I didn't want to live in Belgium for the rest of my life. I knew I wanted to be somewhere else. I guess I'm just not that big a fan of this country. I was actually one of the few (?) who prayed Belgium'd split by the end of our country's crisis. I think that sort of says it all about my commitment to this country -or what passes a country anymore, I mean, 385 days without a government in the past three years? Seriously.

So, once the paperwork is over and done with, I can only hope to be considered a valid candidate and maybe, come next year, I'll be blogging live from the UK. One thing's for sure, I'll have my resumes packed and ready to be dealt around, even if I have to force-feed them to all the major newspapers and publishing houses.

No comments: