Thursday, October 28, 2010

Forgetfulness and other vices

Today in literature class, I had this great idea for a blog and by the time I got home, lit up the computer and opened Blogspot, I had forgotten all about what I wanted to write about. So, by bravely continuing to write this blog, I'm hoping it'll kickstart some lapsed wire in my brain and bring back that thing that I wanted to write, but forgot. Here goes nothing!

The first thing that pops into my head (since I presume this blog is going to have a somewhat stream of consciousness feel to it) is the dance scene from Another Cinderella Story. I bet I can guess what your first thoughts were when you read that: 'Oh my god, isn't that a chick-flick?', 'Is it the sequel to that sucky/awesome movie with Hilary Duff and Chad Michael Murray?' and maybe someone even thought 'Yeah, I loved that scene too!' But regardless of your personal preference, I liked this scene because of the way it was shot. The mirror, acting as a physical divide between two people who are so very meant for each other (in typical Hollywood fashion, aka lots of drama ending in happy climax). This is also a very good scene to portray the chemistry between the two characters. Plus, Selena Gomez doesn't look like a twelve-year old for four minutes... Which, I have to say, is quite the accomplishment.

After this small detour to fairy tales, I still haven't got any closer to what I wanted to tell you. So I guess we're moving on to subject numero dos which has absolutely nothing to do with the real matter... Today was the day it struck me how many people are struggling in their relationships. Break-ups, make-ups, hook-ups and all the other 'ups' people can have.

I'm starting to think that the contemporary notion of relationships has permanently shifted towards a constant state of ambiguity. People are often surprised to learn someone else shows an interest in them that transcends the 'friendship' level while others who thought they had already won the 'Happily Ever After' gameshow end up falling flat on their asses. Bewilderment and entanglement all around. It makes you wonder just how the dating scene is going to look like in twenty years. After the War, marriage was considered the reward for having conquered the Evil Adolf and his fiendish Army of Doom. When a man and a woman got married, their union was expected to last a lifetime and their kids in turn would live the same (American?) dream. But now, more than half a century later, it all got so messed up.

In a way, lovelives back then were much easier, albeit probably unhappier. If we look at relationships now, we don't talk about just two people anymore. We talk about them, their friends, their families, their past boy/girlfriends, their sexual experiences, their personalities, their hair colour and what not. But exactly how relevant is that information? Does being a brunette or a blonde garantee a successful marriage? Does having had seven prior sexual encounters prove you're Mr Right? Or does it just mean you're a great Mr Right Now? And if so, where are Mr and Mrs Happily Ever After?

The whole relationship scene has become a veritable battleground with all sorts of torturous traps and devices, but that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy whatever Fate throws our way. Did Peggy Lee have it right? Do we love the way people break our hearts? Is it terribly, terribly, terribly true?

Hmm, I guess I still haven't quite found the trigger yet. But it seems I've run out of time. I have a million things to do before I start my videoproject for school, leave for Louvain tonight and see my niece tomorrow. Ain't life grand? 

No comments: