Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 9 - The clean-up

Today is my final day of work. And boy, does it show! Everywhere you look there's people running around doing something. Cleaning floors, washing windows, folding laundry, organizing the storage, doing inventory, it was a bonafide madhouse.

As for me, I had to go back to my claustrophobia-inducing room without a view and work my way through yet another pile of dirty dishes - surprise! But in the next room, they were short one dishwasher, so after about an hour, I had to go over there and pitch in. It seemed as though the day would never end.

Fortunately, it did. At three in the afternoon we were done. DONE! Can you believe it? I don't have to lift one more goddamn thing! I can finally kick back and let the feeling of vacation overtake me and explore more of Saint-Pierre!

Sadly, everybody else's plans included baking in the sun by the pool. All in all, that's not such a bad idea, but I was actually kinda looking forward to getting out of there one last time. So, I took a little trip by myself. I took a bike and rode along the Canal du Midi. A nice little route, completely deserted. Heaven.

On my way back, I stopped at l'Oeuil Doux one last time, just to see it in daylight, instead of under a cloudy sky. And when I was down by the lake, I took the opportunity of kicking out my shoes and dipping my toes in the fresh water. Doesn't get any better than that.
That night, there was a barbeque to celebrate le Fin du Saison, but it was kind of a disappointment. The food wasn't all that exquisite and the ambiance was a bit crowded - as we were sitting there with 48 people, of which we only knew about half or so. Not the kind of goodbye I was hoping for, but I'm just glad it's all coming to an end. I'm really looking forward to going home.

No comments: