Friday, January 14, 2011

Wander once more

I just watched the 2009 television adaptation of Wuthering Heights. I've never read the book by Emily Brontë, nor have I seen any of its previous adaptations. But since my English Literature exam is only three days away, I thought it best to watch at least one adaptation. It's funny how you - or at least I - can remember something infinitely better from seeing it in an audiovisual way than you - I - could ever hope to by studying it from a book. 

My first thought when I watched the credits roll was this is one beautiful, yet profoundly tragic love story. For those of you who haven't seen or haven't even heard of Wuthering Heights, I suggest you look up the 2009 version, it's fairly loyal to the original work (that is, what I can tell from the parts we've discussed in class and what extracts I've read from the book).

For those of you unfamiliar with E. Brontë's novel, I'll quickly summarize the story. There are two families: the Earnshaws, living at Wuthering Heights and the Lintons living at Thrushcross Grange. Hindley and Catherine Earnshaws's father returns from Liverpool with an unexpected surprise: an orphan boy whom he found wandering the streets. The father christens him Heathcliff and immediatly Catherine takes a liking to him, whereas Hindley sees him as a threat and treats him like a servant. Over the years, Catherine and Heathcliff grow closer together, but when the father dies and Hindley becomes the new master of Wuthering Heights, all hope of love between them seems lost.

Catherine and Heathcliff's relationship turns into one of the most beautiful, yet disturbed love stories. But on the eve of the night the two lovers wish to elope, they trespass on Thrushcross Grange and Catherine is wounded. Heathcliff is sent away because of his treacherous gypsy looks. During her stay with the Linton family, she meets Edgar Linton and his sister Isabella. Edgar grows fond of Catherine, but it is clear that her heart belongs to Heathcliff, and this will never change. Heathcliff however, misjudges the situation, thinking Catherine has chosen Edgar over him, and leaves, but not before swearing revenge on anyone who came between him and his love.

I could continue on and on about the story, but then what would be the point in you seeing this movie? So I won't reveal any more, unless you want to, in that case, I'll send you an email, although you could just consult Wikipedia as well, I suppose.

If you're ever going to see it: pay special attention to Catherine's love profession for Heathcliff. Where she compares her love for him as the eternal rocks beneath the earth. And also notice, near the end of the movie, when Heathcliff calls out to his love, begging her to "wander once more" near him. It's breathtakingly beautiful. So on that last note, be sure to see check it out and I hope you'll wander around here once more as well.

No comments: